Thursday, August 5, 2010

THE RED BARON - PART 1

The Red Baron (film)Image via Wikipedia
Dear You--

I saw the movie, The Red Baron, the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it although apparently it was a disaster at the box office. 

It had outstanding set direction and convincingly conveyed a sense of place and period - Northern France during WW I - even though it was actually shot in and around Prague (one European city I regret I have never visited). Though shot in English, it was a  German production, with a big budget by European standards (18-19 million Euros or about $25 million - nothing by Hollywood standards) it portrayed an entirely credible picture of an arrogant and privileged aristocrat with a special talent for air combat, and the natural leadership qualities of his class, who - as his comrades get killed one after the other - realizes that what is doing is pointless, and that his primary value is as a propaganda symbol for both a cause and a regime he no longer believes in. There is also a rather touching love story with a nurse, which purists have criticized as being historically dubious, but which I rather liked. 

The movie had special associations for me which I'll tell you about in my next letter; and no jokes about my being old enough to have fought in it!

Farewell for the moment. Write soon. I miss your wit and your company.





Victor.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment