THE BLOG ITSELF
Do we (the people) read blog archives? I am sure we do, on occasions; but I suspect that normally we do not. In fact, that has long struck me as one of the weaknesses of electronic blogging as opposed to a physical journal. Books tend to be linear; and to be either read, or dipped into, in such a fashion. In contrast, a blog tends to emphasize immediacy; and, by its nature, to focus almost exclusively on the latest entry.
Is that a good thing?
I’m far from sure. Context is missing. Let me remedy that omission in relation to this blog – not that I want to stop you wandering through the archives. But, in essence, context frequently – though not always – provides some rationality to actions, which seen in isolation, would appear to make no sense at all.
For example: I am writing this blog because I want to communicate to my potential readers; and I am launching several new titles shortly.
In truth, this blog is something more than that. It is also an attempt to reach out at a very human level for no commercial reason at all. Why so? Because communication – when it works in the face of all the normal obstacles and prejudices – is a great and wonderful thing.
My god, that sounds so sentimental. On the other hand, it reflect a personal – and hard-won - belief.
THE CONTEXT OF THIS BLOG
The context in this case is quite straightforward. I am on a steady countdown to launch a range of new titles on Amazon, and other major sites, within weeks rather than months. I will provide specific dates when I have them.
I will be launching – over a period of several weeks – three new titles. Thereafter, additional new titles will be appearing at, very roughly, intervals of one every month or two for several months.
The initial titles will be:
- The Blood Of Generations. This will be the fourth action-packed novel in the Fitzduane series. In it, a survivor of the notorious WW II massacre at Malmerie, France, tries to enlist Fitzduane’s help in tracking down one of the chief perpetrators. That perpetrator, aging but still lethal, now runs one of the largest corporations in the world and has planned revenge against the Allies. In the climax, Fitzduane finds himself fighting over the same blood-soaked ground in Nazi occupied France as his father and mother had experienced in WW II when both were agents who had been infiltrated behind enemy lines to prepare for the June 6 invasion in 1944. Their mission-impossible is to either delay or destroy the formidable and ruthless SS Thousand Year Panzer division. With an intersecting story set both today, and back in 1944, this is a Big Thriller on an epic scale inspired by actual events.
- Satan’s Smile. Harry Fremont is a battle-weary scientist turned FBI agent who, for years, has specialized in hunting serial killers. His father is Thurlow Fremont, one of the principal developers of the Hydrogen Bomb. Posted to Livermore, home of the nuclear Livermore National Laboratory, to investigate a series of vicious throat cutting murders, Harry soon discovers that there are other forces at work; and that ‘The Lab’ is the target. Meanwhile, Stonecutter, the master terrorist, is planning a vastly more lethal spectacular event than anyone could have imagined. Distracted by inter-agency politics, and confused by his love for a fellow FBI, agent and his attraction to nuclear scientist Tina Lazaroff, Harry battles against the clock to stop much of California being turned into a nuclear wasteland. In a sentence: Serial killing meets nuclear terrorism.
- How Eagle & Cuckoo Save America: The Beginning. The Council of The Place For Reasonably Good People (where you go after you die if you have been reasonably good) are concerned that the U.S. is in rapid decline so appoint their watcher, Cuckoo, to find a solution. Cuckoo finds that so many Americans have been corrupted by dollar worship and Fast Food, that the only living creature up to the task is Eagle, head of all the eagles – and the very personification of character and integrity. However, Eagle is an eagle so has to know a lot more before he will be up to the task. Accordingly, Cuckoo proceeds to teach him. Meanwhile, the forces of darkness headed by one of Satan’s main agents, determine to destroy Eagle. A hilarious satire combined with an action packed thriller, Eagle & Cuckoo (E&C) may well be one of the funniest, most exciting, books you are ever likely the read; and offers a fascinating perspective on the reality of modern America.
E&C will be a trilogy, albeit each book will be a self-contained story. A self-contained story, from this author’s perspective, has a Beginning, a Middle, and an End; and is satisfying in itself.
- In the How Eagle & Cuckoo Save America: The Beginning, we get to know the characters, see Eagle as he evolves from simple aviator to combat leader, and experience the most hilarious courtroom scene yet written – featuring the Supreme Court and a re-incarnated Clarence Darrow.
- In the How Eagle & Cuckoo Save America: The Contest we follow Eagle as he morphs into human form, develops his political platform, and runs for the presidency.
- In the How Eagle & Cuckoo Save America: The Leader we follow Eagle as he is sworn into office and leads the re-building of America with extraordinary success.
Will there be other E&C books? I truly hope so. I have a lot of ideas on that front. But, as always, it all depends upon the market reaction.
Watch this space for the latest details. We, who appear to be doing nothing, are actually surprisingly busy (but are slower at getting out titles than I would like).